Pembrokeshire Record Office
Records relating to the Philipps family of Picton Castle
Reference code(s): GB 0213 D/RTP/PIC
Title: Records relating to the Philipps family of Picton Castle
Short title: Philipps family, of Picton Castle, manorial records
Dates of creation: 1588-1968
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium:
Name of creator(s): Philipps family, of Picton Castle
Administrative and biographical history: Picton Castle, Slebech, Pembrokeshire, was built in early 12th century by William de Picton and his descendants still occupy the Castle today, carrying the name of Philipps since the 15th Century. By marriage with an heiress of the Pictons, the Castle became the property of the Wogan family. The Wogans of Picton ended in heiresses and to Katherine, who married Owen Dunn of Muddlescombe, Pembrokeshire, fell the inheritance of Picton Castle. Their granddaughter, Joan, married Thomas Philipps of Cilsant, Llanwinio, Carmarthenshire (d. 1520), in 1491 and became first lord Philipps of Picton Castle. Their son, John married Elizabeth Griffith of Penrhyn Castle, Pembrokeshire. The eldest son, Richard (1535-1551) died and was succeeded by their younger son, William (d. 1573). When he died, his brother, Morgan (d. 1585) succeeded to his estates. His eldest son, Sir John Philipps (d. 1629) was created a Baronet in 1621. The baronetcy then was passed from father to son: Sir Richard Philipps (d. 1648), the 2nd Baron; Sir Erasmus Phillips (d. 1697), the 3rd Baron; Sir John Philipps (d. 1736), the 4th Baron, had three sons. The eldest, Sir Erasmus (1700-1743), 5th Baron, died and was succeeded by his younger brother, Sir John (1701- 1764), the 6th Baron, and the third son was Bulkeley of Abercover, Llandyfaelog, Carmarthenshire. Sir John's only son, Sir Richard Philipps (d. 1823) the 7th Baron, was created Lord Milford in 1776. He died childless, and the estate devolved on his cousin, Richard Bulkeley Phillips Grant (1801-1857) of Abercyfor, Llandyfaelog, Carmarthenshire, who assumed the surname Philipps. He died without issue, and his estates devolved upon his half-brother, the Rev. James Henry Alexander Philipps (formerly Gwyther) (1814-1875). His son-in-law, Sir Charles Edward Gregg Philipps (formerly Fisher), who was married to his daughter, Mary Philippa, succeeded him. This baronetcy descended to their son Sir Henry Erasmus Edward Philipps (1871-1938) and then to his son Sir John Erasmus Gwynne Alexander Philipps (1915-1948). The Picton castle estate included the lordships of several manors and the presentation of St Mary's Church, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire.
Scope and content: Papers regarding the Rectory and Vicarage of St Mary's Church, Haverfordwest and Middleton Charity, 1588-1856; Manor of Maenclochog, 1792-1919; Manor of Manorbier, 1792-1935; Manor of Penally, 1785-1926; Manor of Croedrath, 1820-1843; other manors, 1708-1843; Manorbier Castle visitor books, 1922-1929; and deeds and correspondence 1621-1967, including the lease of the manor of Beer and Penally, 1621; and sale and purchase particulars, 1908-1968.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Rectory and Vicarage of St Mary's Church, Haverfordwest and Middleton Charity; manors; deeds and correspondence; and sale and purchase.
Conditions governing access: No restrictions.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Pembrokeshire Record Office and the National Register of Archives.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at the Pembrokeshire Record Office have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Archival history: The records came into the possession of Messrs RTP Williams, Solicitors.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Messrs. RTP Williams, Solicitors, Bridge Street, Haverfordwest.
Related units of description: Further papers relating to the Philipps family and the Picton Castle estate are National Library of Wales, Picton Castle Estate Records, National Library of Wales MS 23273-6, National Library of Wales ex 818, 1940, and Pembrokeshire Record Office, D/RTP/RBP and D/RTP/PCE. Related maps and plans are NLW PG 4210-4275
Note: Title from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Seri Crawley for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description : Records relating to the Philipps family of Picton Castle catalogue; Nicholas, Thomas, Annals and Antiquities of the Counties and County Families of Wales, (London, 2000); The Dictionary of Welsh Biography down to 1940, (London, 1959); Philipps, Mary Margaret, The History of the Family of Philipps of Picton (London, 1906).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition, AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of description: April 2005.