Reference code(s): GB 0210 ABEUGH
Held at: National Library of Wales
Title: Aberystwyth Borough Records
Short title: Aberystwyth Borough, records
Dates of creation: 1693-1929 (accumulated 1834-1929)
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.815 cubic metres (1 box, 164 volumes, 1 envelope)
Name of creator(s): Aberystwyth Borough
Administrative and biographical history: Aberystwyth, Cardiganshire, became a town and a borough in the 13th century (there is a charter of 1277). Until 1834, when the borough was reconstituted, the town was governed by a court leet, which met twice a year. Its main functions were the admittance of new burgesses, the appointment of bailiffs, bellmen, coroners, the chamberlains, town clerks, scavengers, and the hearing of presentments. The leet was also responsible for the management of paving, cleansing and lighting within Aberystwyth. In 1780, an Act was obtained to repair, enlarge and to preserve Aberystwyth Harbour. The Harbour Committee became responsible for the harbour in 1873. In the 1850s, the borough established its own Burial Board to administer the local cemeteries. The public library was established around 1874. From 1835, Improvement Commissioners oversaw lighting, sanitation and water supply.
Scope and content: Records of Aberystwyth borough, including court leet records, 1693-1882; burgess rolls, 1782-1882, including records of the Improvement Commissioners, 1835-1873; entry books of notices, 1835-1882, draft minute books, 1873-1890, treasurer's books, 1874-1897, minute books, 1883-1917; harbour records, 1780-1906; Aberystwyth Burial Board records, 1857-1927; Aberystwyth public library account books, 1874-1913; statutory registers of licences for hackney carriages, 1887-1909, 1906-1926; licences of slaughterhouses, 1873-1879.
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Court leet; Improvement Commissioners; Town Borough Council; Corporation property; Court of summary jurisdiction; Harbour; Burial Board; public library; statutory registers; and miscellanea.
Conditions governing access: Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at the National Library of Wales. The catalogue can be accessed online.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the Corporation of Aberystwyth between 1936 and 1970.
Related units of description: Further records are Ceredigion Record Office, ABM.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds. Some of the records pre-date the creation of Aberystwyth Borough in 1834.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Annette Strauch for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Evans, George Eyre, Aberystwyth: Its Court Leet 1690-1900 (Aberystwyth, 1902); Lewis, William John, Born on a perilous rock: Aberystwyth past and present (Aberystwyth, 1980); Ceredigion Record Office website (archifdy-ceredigion.org.uk), viewed 26 August 2003.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: October 2004