Reference code(s): GB 0210 SLEBECH
Title: Slebech Estate Records
Short title: Slebech estate, records
Dates of creation: 1292-1926
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 1.1 cubic metres (40 boxes, 1 roll, 1 large document)
Name of creator(s): Slebech estate
Administrative and biographical history: Slebech was a preceptory or commandery (=grange) of the order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem in England. In 1546, following the suppression of the monasteries, Slebech was granted to Roger Barlow and Thomas Barlow, along with the sites and lands of the late priory of Pyll and the late monastery of Haverfordwest. The family failed in the late eighteenth century when Anne Barlow, the heiress, married John Symmons of Llanstinan in 1773, but had no issue. The estate was sold to William Knox of Soho Square, London, who sold the estate in 1792 to Nathaniel Phillips of Gloucester Place, London. Both Nathaniel Phillips and his father, also Nathaniel, had commercial interests in sugar plantations in Jamaica. Mary Dorothea Phillips, the eventual co-heiress of the estate, married the Baron de Rutzen in 1822. The estate remained in the de Rutzen family until John, baron de Rutzen, was killed in the Second World War, in 1944.
Scope and content: Records of the Slebech estate and the lordship of Narberth, Pembrokeshire, mainly title deeds, [late 13 cent.]-1926, including deeds relating to the Knights Hospitallers of the Commandery of Slebech, mainly 14th century; family papers of the Barlow and de Rutzen families of Slebech and the Phillips family of Lampeter Velfry and Slebech, 1543-[c. 1919], including documents deriving from Nathaniel Phillips' commercial ventures in Jamaican sugar plantations; and manorial records, 1292-1819, including ministers' accounts, 1357-1605, of the Pembrokeshire estates of the Mortimers, earls of March.
System of arrangement: Arranged into four sections: manorial records; deeds and documents; and 1996 and 1998 additional deposits.
Conditions governing access: Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright laws apply
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at NLW and HMC. An online catalogue can be accessed from http://www.llgc.org.uk:81/index.htm
The 1998 deposit is not described in the NLW catalogues, but details are given in the box list. Further details relating to manorial records within the archive can be accessed online from http://www.mdr.nationalarchives.gov.uk/mdr/
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at NLW have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Baron de Slebech, February 1939. A few additional papers were transferred from NLW Department of Pictures and Maps in 1996 and others were deposited in February 1998 (C1998/3) by Thomas Lloyd of Freestone Hall, Cresselly, Cilgeti, Pembrokeshire.
Related units of description: A number of drawings, photographs, postcards, prints, printers' plates, and watercolours National Library of Wales, Special Collections. Further papers relating to the Barlow family are at NLW MS 6104. Other records of the Slebech estate are at Pembrokeshire Record Office, Haverfordwest.
Publication note: Charles, B. G., 'The Records of Slebech', National Library of Wales Journal, vol. V (1947-1948), pp. 179-98.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Stephen Benham.
The following sources were used in the compilation of this record: Jones, Francis, Historic Houses of Pembrokeshire and their families (Newport, 1996); Burke's Extinct Baronetcies (London, 2nd ed., 1844.
Rules or conventions: This description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2; and LCSH.
Date(s) of description: April 2001