Reference code(s): GB 0210 DAVPONT
Title: CMA: Records of St David's Presbyterian Church, Pont-y-pridd
Short title: St David's Presbyterian Church, Pont-y-pridd, records
Dates of creation: 1883-2001
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.086 cubic metres (3 boxes), 2 outsize vols
Name of creator(s): St David's Presbyterian Church, Pont-y-pridd
Administrative and biographical history: In 1879 both the Presbytery and some of the congregation at Penuel Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church in Pontypridd felt the necessity to establish an English cause there. The members of the Welsh congregation were unsupportive of the efforts to found a separate church but they did grant permission for English services to be held in the vestry under the chapel. An increase in attendance by English speakers led to the construction of St David's Hall and vestry in 1880. A further increase in congregation size necessitated a new church, so St David's was built in 1883. An organ was installed in 1903 and electric lighting in 1908.The church encouraged attendance by children with a League of Young Worshippers who had their own regular Sunday morning services. A Band of Hope and a Sunday school were set up at Pwllgwaun at some time between 1890 and 1897. The Gospel Temperance movement of 1882 had resulted in the establishment of a mission at the Chainworks, where the church later acquired property and commenced a successful Sunday school.A centenary celebration was held at St David's Church in 1979.
Scope and content: Records of St David's Presbyterian Church, Pontypridd, comprising registers of church members, 1883-1990; baptism and death registers, 1888-2001; church account books, 1897-1970; minute books, 1916-2001; correspondence, 1887-1959; a Sunday school minute book, 1917-1971; and Sunday school registers, 1935-1959.
System of arrangement: Arranged as two groups: church books and papers, and Sunday school books.
Conditions governing access: Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright laws apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available in CMA: Records of Welsh Chapels in NLW 2001-
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All of the papers deposited at NLW have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are possible.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the Rev. J. E. Wynne Davies, Aberystwyth, March 2004.
Related units of description: A marriage register for 1929 is held at NLW: CMA II/H49/2; annual reports, 1944-1947, 1949-1951 and other papers relating to the history and events of the church, 1879-1907, are also in NLW: XBX 9102 P818, CMA I/21076.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Hilary A.Peters.
The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Supplement to the Monthly Tidings, Nov. 1885; St David's Presbyterian Church, Pontypridd: A Record of Fifty Years, 1879-1929 (Pontypridd, 1929).
Rules or conventions: This description follows NLW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2; and LCSH.
Date(s) of description: August 2005