Reference code(s): GB 0210 NEVILL
Held at: NLW
Title: Nevill Industrial Records
Short title: Nevill industrial records
Dates of creation: 1701-1910
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.83 cubic metres (27 boxes, 2 folders, 6 volumes)
Name of creator(s): Messrs Nevill, Druce and Co., Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, and predecessor bodies
Administrative and biographical history: Charles Nevill, a Worcestershire copperworks owner and sometime mayor of Birmingham, established a copper works at Swansea, Glamorgan, in 1794. This was followed by another at Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, in 1804, in conjunction with the companies of Savill (of London), Daniell (of Cornwall) and Guest (of Birmingham). His son, Richard Janion Nevill, inherited his father's interests, and also took over part of the colliery workings of Roderick and Bowen on Sir John Stepney's Carmarthenshire lands in 1804. He later purchased all of the Carmarthenshire collieries of General Ward, in 1829, and became involved in numerous business partnerships. The Nevills were pioneers in the South Wales copper smelting and coal mining industries, providing housing, education and healthcare for their workers, and their chief business interests came to be known as Nevill, Druce and Company. Richard Nevill's son, Charles William Nevill, became both Member of Parliament for Carmarthenshire and High Sheriff of the county, and the family businesses continued in operation into the twentieth century.
Scope and content: Records, 1701-1910, of the business concerns of Charles Nevill, his son, Richard Janion Nevill and Nevill, Druce and Co., notably the Swansea Copper Works and the Llanelli Copper Works and collieries in Carmarthenshire, 1797-1910, including: a diary of Charles Nevill containing entries relating to the Swansea Copper Works and to analyses of copper ore, 1797-1802; copies of letters written from Llanelli, 1812-1813, and diary entries relating to lead works, 1811-1813, and to roadmaking at Llangennech, 1812-1813; letter books, 1804-1832; colliery accounts and reports, 1803-1836; bye-laws of the Llanelli Copper Works, 1805-1834; accounts of the sale of copper, rough copper books, etc., 1807-1874; ticketings of lead mainly from mines in Cornwall, Cardiganshire and the Isle of Man, 1852-1853; entry books of offers of lead ore, 1851-1876; registers of purchases, 1860-1875; lead ore produce books, 1862-1872; an account book of the steamer Harriet, 1838-1840; shipbuilding specifications, 1865-1872; and a large number of deeds and documents, 1701-1910, including industrial leases in Llanelli. Papers of Charles William Nevill are not included.
System of arrangement: Arranged into manuscript volumes, 1630-1880, and deeds and documents, 1701-1910.
Conditions governing access: Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at the National Library of Wales. The catalogue is also available online.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records donated to the National Library of Wales have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: Donated by Messrs Nevill, Druce and Co., Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, per Lieutenant-Colonel R. A. Nevill, 1936.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by David Moore for the ANW project. The following source was consulted in the compilation of this description: NLW, Schedule of Nevill Records
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of description: March 2003