Reference code(s): GB 0210 WEFOMU
Held at: National Library of Wales
Title: Welsh Folk Museum Collection of Deeds
Short title: Welsh Folk Museum collection of deeds
Dates of creation: -1821
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 17 items
Name of creator(s): Welsh Folk Museum
Administrative and biographical history: The Welsh Folk Museum was established in 1948 (later re-named the Museum of Welsh Life); Iorwerth C. Peate was its first Curator. The Museum's remit included the collection and display of buildings and objects relating to Welsh culture, and the recording of Welsh language usage. In the course of its work, it collects manuscripts and other documents. In 1967, a group of deeds and other papers, mainly relating to properties in Lodsworth, Sussex, which it had acquired but which fell outside the interests of the Museum, was removed for deposit at the National Library of Wales.
Scope and content: Commentary on the Psalms, fragment, ; deeds relating to lands in Losdworth, Sussex, 1572-1806; miscellaneous documents relating to land and manors in Wales, 1496-1667; assessment of ship money for Dinas Powis, Glamorgan, ; household accounts (unidentified), 1799-1800, and letter from Henry Addington, Viscount Sidmouth, to Viscount Sydney, 1821.
Language/script: Latin, English
System of arrangement: Arranged by donation and in chronological order.
Conditions governing access: Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available at the National Library of Wales. The catalogue can be accessed online.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Archival history: The documents were arranged by the Museum into groups by donation. At least one of the items had previously been held by Cardiff Museum.
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the Welsh Folk Museum, per Iorwerth Cyfeiliog Peate, Curator, 1967.
Note: Title supplied from name of collector. The collection pre-dates the establishment of the Welsh Folk Museum.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Annette Strauch for the ANW project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: NLW, Welsh Folk Museum Collection.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2 and LCSH
Date(s) of description: April 2003