Reference code(s): GB 0210 PENYBONT
Held at: National Library of Wales
Title: Penybont Hall (Radnorshire) Deeds
Short title: Penybont Hall, Radnorshire, deeds
Dates of creation: 1728-1913
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.029 cubic metres (28 items)
Name of creator(s): Penybont Hall estate, Radnorshire
Administrative and biographical history: Penybont Hall, Llanbadarn Fawr, Radnorshire, was built by John Price (1723-1798), banker. He built up a sizeable estate, including the manor of Golon, Abbey Cwm-Hir, purchased in 1790, and other properties in Radnorshire and in Ludlow, Shropshire. He was survived by one daughter, Mary Ann (1793-1876). In 1811, she married John Cheesement Severn (1781-1875), a London-born barrister and onetime MP; he had already bought land in Llanbedr Painscastle and Michaelchurch in Radnorshire in 1808, and would later add other properties in Herefordshire and Radnorshire. They had three daughters and one son, John Percy Severn (1814-1900), who inherited the estate on his father's death in 1875. He was succeeded by his younger sister Emily (1815-1906). The estate then passed to Major-General R. C. Whitehead (1833-1910), son of John Cheesement Severn's half-sister.
Scope and content: Deeds, 1728-1850, relating to the manor of Golon and other properties in Radnorshire, and Ludlow, Shropshire; deeds and documents, 1778-1808, relating to the manors of Brilley and Eardisley and other properties, Herefordshire, and the manor of Aberedw and other properties in Radnorshire; and a schedule of the Whitehead estate in Radnorshire, [early 20th century].
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Golon deeds etc.; Brilley, Eardisley, Aberedw deeds etc.; and miscellaneous.
Conditions governing access: Readers consulting modern papers in the National Library of Wales are required to sign the 'Modern papers - data protection' form.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy of the catalogue is available in Minor Lists and Summaries 1983, pp. 32-33, at the National Library of Wales. The catalogue is available online.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records donated to the National Library of Wales have been retained.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected.
Immediate source of acquisition: Donated by Mr R. C. B. Oliver, Llandrindod Wells, Powys, 1983.
Related units of description: Further records are in National Library of Wales Maybery Collection, and Harpton Court Estate Records; and Glamorgan Record Office, CL/MAN/GRO.
Publication note: Oliver, R. C. B., The Squires of Penybont Hall, Radnorshire, 1755-1926 (1971) is based on the archive.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Rhys Jones for the ANW project. The following sources were used to compile this description: National Library of Wales, Minor Lists and Summaries 1983; Oliver, R. C. B., The Squires of Penybont Hall Radnorshire, 1755-1926 (1971).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of description: April 2003