Reference code(s): GB 0211 MANSELLEWIS
Held at: Carmarthenshie Archives Service
Title: Mansel Lewis Muniments
Short title: Mansel Lewis muniments
Dates of creation: 1650-1960
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 3.38 cubic metres (255 boxes, 160 vols)
Name of creator(s): Mansel and Mansel Lewis families of Stradey, Llanelli, Carmarthenshire
Administrative and biographical history: The Stradey estate, Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, came to be owned by the Vaughan family of Derwydd in about 1610. John Mansel, the son of Sir Francis Mansel of Muddlesombe, married Mary, daughter of Sir Henry Vaughan of Derwydd and came to live at Stradey, although it remained the property of the Vaughan family until 1673, when it was sold to the Mansel family. The Mansel family continued for a century and a half, failing with the death without issue of Mary Anne Mansel (d. 1808), the widow of E. W. R. Shewen. She bequeathed the estate to Thomas Lewis (d. 1829) of Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire. Despite major improvements made to the mansion in the period 1820-1830, David Lewis decided in about 1844 to build a new mansion on higher ground. Stradey Castle was completed and the old Stradey completely demolished in 1855. The Mansel Lewis family remained at Stradey into the last quarter of the 20th century.
Scope and content: Family and estate papers of the Mansel and Mansel Lewis families of Stradey, Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, including deeds and documents, 1650-1905, Stradey estate rentals, 1762-1927, surveys and particulars, 1785-1869; accounts and vouchers, 1762-1931, family and personal correspondence, 1759-1871, business and estate correspondence, 1769-1932, papers relating to properties in the parish of Llandeilo Fawr, 1768-[c. 1850], to Llanarthne tithes, 1711-1852, and to industrial development and royalties, 1895-1960. The archive is a valuable source for the development of Llanelli town and of coal mining in south-east Carmarthenshire
System of arrangement: Arranged into three groups: estate records, 1650-1931; personal and family papers, 1835-1960; and documents received from Robin Craig, 1655-1902.
Conditions governing access: Access by written consent of Sir David Courtney Mansel Lewis via the County Archivist.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: Hard copies of the catalogue are available at Carmarthen Archive Service, the National Library of Wales and the National Register of Archives.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records deposited at Carmarthenshire Archive Service have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by Sir David Courtney Mansel Lewis of Stradey apart from Group III (London Collection) which was received from Robin Craig of London in October 1968.
Related units of description: Further deeds and documents relating to the Stradey estate are among National Library of Wales, Nevill Papers, and a letter book, 1879-95, of N. W. Adams, agent to the Stradey estate, is National Library of Wales MS 22270E.
Note: Title supplied from contents of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Stephen Benham for the HMC/NLW Family and Estates project. The following sources were used in the compilation of this description: Jones, Francis, Historic Carmarthenshire Homes and their Families (Newport, 1997); Beckley, Susan, 'The Carmarthenshire Record Office: a survey of holdings', The Carmarthenshire Antiquary, XV (1979).
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) Second Edition; AACR2 and LCSH
Date(s) of description: July 2001