Glamorgan County Council
Reference code(s): GB 0214 G
Title: Glamorgan County Council
Short title: Glamorgan County Council, records
Dates of creation: 1873-1974
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 35 cubic metres
Name of creator(s): Glamorgan County Council
Administrative and biographical history: The Glamorgan County Council was established by the Local Government (County Councils) Act 1888 (51 & 52 Vict. c.41). This Act reformed local government, establishing elected county councils to take over responsibility for those aspects of county administration which had until that date been dealt with by the Justices of the Peace in Quarter Sessions. In particular, county councils assumed responsibility for county lunatic asylums and county bridges, as well as for a number of matters of regulation and control such as containing outbreaks of disease in cattle and the inspection of weights and measures. As well as the functions transferred from Quarter Sessions, responsibility for the maintenance of main roads was also transferred to county councils by the Act of 1888. Over time county councils gradually acquired further functions. The Education Act 1902 gave them responsibility for elementary education (except in municipal boroughs and urban districts over a certain size) and for secondary and intermediate education, while the Local Government Act 1929 transferred to the county councils responsibility for public assistance (including out-relief, care of the elderly, infirm and children, Poor Law hospitals, and institutions) from the Boards of Guardians. Moreover, new legislation passed relating to public health, agriculture, mental deficiency, highways and town and country planning gave substantial further responsibilities to county councils, particularly between 1919 and 1947. In the period immediately after the Second World War, some responsibilities were transferred to the county councils from the urban and rural district councils, but, with the establishment of the National Health Service and the Welfare State, the county councils lost to central government responsibilities for major services relating to health and public assistance. Local government was reorganised in 1974, and the Glamorgan County Council came to an end in March of that year: under the Local Government Act 1972, when the county of Glamorgan was divided into three new counties, Mid, South and West Glamorgan.
Scope and content: Material received and created by the Council including committee minutes, reports and departmental records, 1873-1974.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: GB 0214 GC - records relating to the committees of the County Council (principally minutes, reports and related papers, together with publications issued by the Council or Committees),and GB 0214 GD - records created and received by the officers and staff of the different departments.
Conditions governing access: Items containing information on named individuals may be restricted in accordance with the Data Protection Act and Record Office policy. Some of the records are stored in an outside repository. These records should be ordered at least a week in advance of an intended visit so that they can be brought into the Record Office for consultation in the search room.
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply
Finding aids: Detailed lists of all the committee records (GC) and of a small number of the departmental records (GD) are available at the Glamorgan Record Office. For most of the departmental records, only shelf lists are available.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: Very little appraisal of the records was undertaken on their arrival at the Record Office, and a large number of duplicates (particularly of minutes) and much ephemeral material was originally kept. Moreover, although a considerable amount of work was carried out on arranging and listing the records, and a number of draft lists were prepared, very little of this work resulted in formal lists; furthermore, even where items were formally listed and indexed, unique reference numbers were not assigned to these items and the lists compiled were very brief and not to current standards. During the period in which the records remained unlisted, because of the way in which they had been transferred to the Glamorgan Record Office and the way in which they were subsequently stored, their provenance and original order was in a number of cases lost. A major project to appraise and list all the unlisted records, and to re-list to current standards the small number of records already listed, was therefore undertaken between 1996 and 1999. All duplicates have been destroyed, except in a few cases where the condition of the original series of records is poor, and much ephemeral material - particularly correspondence and filing of a routine nature - has also been destroyed. Where possible, the original order of the records was re-created, using any available internal information in the documents, together with information on the way in which the County Council and its departments functioned. However, it has not been possible to do this in all cases.
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Glamorgan County Council, deposited at various dates
Related units of description: For records relating to the administration of the county before 1889 (in particular records relating to the county gaol, the county asylum, and county roads and bridges), see the Quarter Sessions records (Q/S) The Local Government Act 1888 provided for the establishment of certain cities and very large towns as county boroughs; these were to be separate from the counties and responsible for all administrative functions within their areas. Cardiff and Swansea were created county boroughs by the 1888 Act, and Merthyr Tydfil became a county borough in 1908. Records for the County Borough of Cardiff can be found listed under the reference BC, and for Merthyr Tydfil County Borough under BMT. For county council records after April 1974, see the records of Mid Glamorgan County Council and South Glamorgan County Council. Associated material held in other repositories includes the records of the County Borough of Swansea, 1889-1974, and the West Glamorgan County Council, 1974-1996. These are held by the West Glamorgan Archives Service, Swansea.
Archivist's note: Compiled by David Morris for the ANW project. The following source was used for compilation: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids.
Rules or conventions: Descriptions follow ANW guidelines based on ISAD (G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of description: July 2004