Cardiff Royal Infirmary records
Reference code(s): GB 0214 DHC
Title: Cardiff Royal Infirmary records
Short title: Cardiff Royal Infirmary records
Dates of creation: 1822-1988
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: 0.66 cubic metres
Name of creator(s): Cardiff Royal Infirmary
Administrative and biographical history: The history of the Cardiff Royal Infirmary began in 1822 when the Cardiff Dispensary was set up on Newport Road. This institution became the Glamorganshire and Monmouthshire Infirmary and Dispensary on its removal to new buildings in 1837. The present building facing Glossop Road opened in 1883 on land leased by the marquess of Bute and the older premises were leased, later sold to the University College of South Wales and Monmouthshire. The name of the hospital changed to the Cardiff Infirmary; from 1911 to 1923, the hospital was known as the King Edward VII Hospital. In 1923 it became known as the Cardiff Royal Infirmary. Initial provision was for 100 beds but the rapid growth in the population of Cardiff and the neighbouring area necessitated major extensions in 1894-5, 1910-11 and during the First World War, and the number of beds rose to more than 500 by the time of the establishment of the National Health Service. A chapel was provided immediately after the war. The Cardiff Lunatic Asylum was officially opened in 1908, and was later renamed as the Cardiff City Mental Hospital. Between 1914-1919 the hospital was taken over by the military. Medical teaching was largely transferred to the Welsh National School in 1921 and maternity provision was transferred to the Maternity Hospital on the opposite side of Glossop Road in 1945-6. The opening of the University Hospital of Wales on the Heath in 1972 gradually reduced dependence on outmoded, cramped facilities at the Royal Infirmary, and most medical treatment had ceased by 2000. The hospital is now (2005) used as a clinic.
Scope and content: Cardiff Royal Infirmary records including minute books, 1822-1944; annual reports, 1837-1970; nursing records, 1904-1964; photographs, c1890-1969; miscellaneous records, 1898-1988; records relating to the Cardiff City Mental Hospital including annual reports, 1944-1947; newspaper cuttings, 1914-1951
ACCESS AND USE
Conditions governing access: Items containing information on named individuals may be restricted in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and Glamorgan Record Office policy.
Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record Office conditions apply
Finding aids: Detailed list available
Accruals: Accruals are possible
Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited at the Glamorgan Record Office by the University Hospital of Wales, Heath Park, Cardiff, 1975-1988
Archivist's note: Compiled by David Morris for the ANW project. The following sources were used for compilation: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Whitchurch Worldwide website (www.whitchurchcardiff.co.uk) viewed 11 July 2005; Aldis, Arnold S., Cardiff Royal Infirmary 1883-1983 (Cardiff, 1984).
Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.
Date(s) of description: July 2005