Search the Catalogue

Glamorgan Archives

Eglwysilan Ecclesiastical Parish records

Reference code(s): GB 0214 P1CW

Held at:

Title: Eglwysilan Ecclesiastical Parish records

Short title: Eglwysilan Ecclesiastical Parish records

Dates of creation: 1679-1998

Level of description: Fonds

Extent and medium: 0.24 cubic metres

Name of creator(s): St. Ilan's Church, Eglwysilan; St. Peter's Church, Senghenydd; St. Cenydd's Church, Senghenydd


Administrative and biographical history: Eglwysilan is an ancient parish in the diocese of Llandaff. It is situated in the Rumney Valley and includes the towns of Caerphilly, Senghenydd and Nantgarw. The parish church is dedicated to St. Ilan, and there is a daughter church, St Peter's, at Senghenydd.


Scope and content: Eglwysilan Ecclesiastical Parish records including registers of marriage, 1679-1998; baptism, 1679-1969; burial, 1679-1988; banns, 1852-1901; services, 1931-1940; list of churchwardens, 1748-1758; preachers books, 1891-1921; histories of the parish of Eglwysilan and St. Martins chapel; account book, 1841-1863


Language/script: English and Welsh

System of arrangement: Eglwysilan Ecclesiastical Parish records arranged by item under subject heading

Conditions governing access: No Restrictions

Conditions governing reproduction: Normal Glamorgan Record conditions apply

Finding aids: Handlist available at the Glamorgan Record Office
Detailed catalogue


Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records offered have been accepted and listed

Accruals: Accruals are possible

Immediate source of acquisition: Deposited by the incumbents, 1977-2010


Existence and location of originals: Originals held at the Glamorgan Record Office

Existence and location of copies: Microfiche and typescript copies of parish registers held at National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth (including microfiche index); Facsimiles of of St. Peter's and St. Cennydd's church registers held at West Glamorgan Achive Service;

Related units of description: See also P1 (Eglwysilan Civil Parish records)


Note: Bishops transcripts for years 1696-97, 1717, 1724-25, 1877, 1880, 1890-1 held at national Library of Wales Aberystwyth; Microfiche copy of bishops transcript for 1696-97 held at the Glamorgan Record Office

Archivist's note: Compiled by Annabel Wickham for the ANW Project; Sources used: Glamorgan Record Office finding aids; Williams and Watts-Williams, Confrestri Plwyf Cymru/Parish Registers of Wales, (Aberystwyth, 2000);

Rules or conventions: Description follows Archives Network Wales guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition; AACR2 and LCSH.

Date(s) of description: October 2012



Personal names

Corporate names