Powys County Archives Office
Society of Friends Papers
Reference code(s): GB 0223 R/NC
Title: Society of Friends Papers
Short title: Society of Friends, papers
Dates of creation:
Level of description: Fonds
Extent and medium: Information to be supplied
Name of creator(s): Radnorshire Society of Friends
Administrative and biographical history: George Fox who visited Radnorshire three times was the founder of the Society of Friends, the Quakers. He started preaching around 1647. The Friends have no ministerial order, no creeds, no dogmas, and no minister. The congregations are a particular (or preparative) meeting. A group of those forms a monthly meeting for the purposes of administration. The Pales Meeting House in Llandegley is the oldest meeting house in Wales. The first deed of 1673 gives Pales two meanings, a burial ground called round about and y Ty ar dir yn y Swydd (the house on the land at the Swydd). The Friends could not be buried in churchyards. The persecution of Quakers was severe in the 17th century and many of them emigrated to Pennsylvania, America. At Pales a school was established in 1867. In the beginning of the 20th century, during the Great Revival, the meeting houses at Llandrindod Wells, Llanyre and Penybont were built. The Primitive Methodists were an evangelical movement named after John Wesley and were part of the 19th century nonconformist movement. Knighton Primitive Methodist Circuit had eight chapels. There is material relating to the Congregational Church, Aberedw, Builth, Radnorshire.
Scope and content: Records relating to the Society of Friends, Radnorshire, including deeds relating to Pales Meeting House, 1673-1855, papers 1912-1958, minutes of the Mission and Day School, 1867-1891; monthly meeting minutes 1827-1834; papers relating to Radnorshire sufferings 1778-1800; subscriptions 1801-1802; records relating to the Llandrindod Wells Meeting, 1892-1969; deeds relating to Llanyre Meeting House, deeds 1895-1948; records of Knighton Primitive Methodist Circuit, 1855-1971; marriage register for the Congregational Church, Aberedw, Builth, Radnorshire, 1899-1968; and miscellaneous, 1945-1963.
ACCESS AND USE
System of arrangement: Arranged into the following: Pales Meeting House; Mission and Day School, 1867-1891; Radnorshire sufferings; Llandrindod Wells Meeting; Llanyre Meeting House; Knighton Methodist Circuit; Congregational Church, Aberedw; and miscellaneous.
Conditions governing access: All minutes relating to the Llandrindod Wells Meeting are closed to public access for 50 years from the date of the last set of minutes unless formal written permission has been obtained from the Clerk of the Monthly Meeting. Copyright is the property of the Monthly Meeting.
Conditions governing reproduction: Usual copyright regulations apply.
Finding aids: A hard copy is available at the Powys County Archives Service.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information: All records have been retained
Accruals: Accruals are not expected
Immediate source of acquisition: Records deposited by the Hereford and Mid Wales Monthly Meeting.
Note: Title supplied from subject of fonds
Archivist's note: Compiled by Annette Strauch for the ANW project. The following sources were used to compile this description: Powys County Archives Service, Radnorshire Society; Radnor Monthly Meeting website (www.quaker.org/radnor), viewed 14 March 2005; Llandrindod and Pales Society of Friends (Quakers) website (quaker.powys.org.uk), viewed 14 March 2005; Welcome to Powys. A Day in the Life website (a-day-in-the-life.powys.org.uk), viewed 14 March 2005.
Rules or conventions: This description follows ANW guidelines based on ISAD(G) second edition, AACR2, and LCSH
Date(s) of description: March 2005